Find the Best Bank for a Student Checking Account
Student checking accounts are a great way for college students to get their finances in order and prepare for the future. But finding the right checking account at the best bank takes some research.
Deciding which bank offers the best student checking account comes down to finding one that offers the best benefits and features. Use this guide to determine what features are important to you, then learn how to open a student checking account online today.
Guide to Choosing a Student Checking Account
When comparing student bank accounts, the Simple Dollar suggests making these four factors top priority:
- Fees — Checking accounts often have monthly fees, but a lot of banks offer accounts without them. As a college student, you shouldn’t have to worry about wasting your money on monthly maintenance fees. When choosing a checking account, go for the bank that offers no monthly fees for students.
- Location — When it comes to student banking, location is important. You probably don’t want to travel too far off campus to find an ATM or local branch, so look for banks with locations near you. If you like a bank, but their ATMs are located too far away, ask about their fees on out-of-network ATM transactions. A lot of banks will allow you to make a certain number of ATM transactions per month, fee free. But be careful, although your bank might not charge you a fee, the ATM itself could.
- Linked savings account — College is a great time to start putting money away for your future. When choosing a bank to open a student checking account, consider a bank that offers a linked savings account. With a linked account you will be able to transfer money easily between accounts, allowing you to save as much or as little as you want each month, and withdraw from your savings whenever you want.
- Perks — Any good student bank account should come with perks. Decide what features and benefits are important to you, such as mobile banking, mobile check deposit and online bill pay, then look for a bank that offers those perks.
Campus Checking from First Bank
You know that fees, location, savings and perks are all important in a student checking account, but where can you find a bank that offers all of those things?
If you live in North Carolina or South Carolina, the answer is First Bank.* Our Campus Checking account is designed for college students under 25, has no monthly fees** and gives you 8 free, out-of-network ATM transactions*** per month. Campus Checking also comes with:
- Free online and mobile banking****
- Free online bill pay
- Free eStatements or paper statements
- Use of CashPoints® ATM network free of First Bank fees
- Rewards Points when you register and use your First Bank debit or credit card
**Account holders may avoid the Monthly Maintenance Fee by meeting any of the requirements listed in the Keep it Fee Free™ section of the account summary table for their account type. Other account service fees may apply as described in the Account Services Fee Schedule, also available at your local branch.
***Free ATM network includes First Bank and CashPoints® terminals. Out of network terminal owners may charge a service fee.
****While First Bank does not charge for mobile banking, your mobile carrier’s message and data rates may apply. The First Bank Digital Banking Apps are available for select mobile and tablet devices.
The Simple Dollar: http://www.thesimpledollar.com/guide-to-student-checking-accounts/