Skip to main content
_FB_2018-Icons-finalized-cleaned-up_new_FB_2018-Icons-finalized-cleaned-up_newGroup 9
Back
Scroll to top

Millennials in the Home Market


Much has been made about how millennials—“a group of 80-million-plus young adults born roughly between 1980 and 1996” according to the New York Times—are reshaping the world as they enter adulthood. One of the most adult decisions they can make is, of course, buying a house.

We spoke to First Bank’s mortgage team about how Generation Y approaches the American dream.

How are millennials thinking about the housing market?

They’re concerned about interest rates going up, and so they’re trying to get into the market now with the lowest possible down payment.

The USDA, if the area allows it, offers loans for up to 100% with no down payment. The FHA offers a loan that’s 3.5% down with down payment assistance. And Fannie Mae has loosened some guidelines. They offer a 95% loan that allows the remaining 5% to be a gift from someone who isn’t the homebuyer.

Are millennials nervous about buying homes, given what happened to the housing market a few years ago?

Some are nervous because they don’t have the jobs they thought they would have. But many millennials are eager to get into the market before prices go back up.

What are millennials looking for in a home?

Many of them are looking for the convenience of being close to urban amenities. They’re not as interested in the suburbs. They’re looking for open space to entertain—an open floor plan.

It’s also worth noting that millennials are more likely to have pets than children.

How do millennials approach the home buying process?

They’ve often done their homework and educated themselves about mortgages on the Internet. And some are going to places like Zillow.com to see what the estimated housing prices are in their potential neighborhoods.

Any advice you’d give to millennials?

Understand that it’s not as easy to flip a house as it once might have been.

But if you do find a house that you want to add to or renovate—say by creating a more open floor plan—we can help you by rolling the addition or renovation costs into your loan.

Work with a local mortgage specialist

Trending Topics

Earn More with Interest-Bearing Checking Accounts

An interest-bearing checking account offers the interest accumulation of savings accounts with the withdrawal and check-writing ease of checking accounts. This best-of-both-worlds combination allows bank...

Checking Account Offers – Asheville, NC

If you live in Asheville and want to open a checking account, visit your local First Bank. We offer checking accounts for individuals and business owners looking to open an account with a bank that values what they need....

How Much Should You Have In Savings at Age 25?

If you’re wondering how much you should have in savings by the time you’re 25, you’re already on the right track. At an age where financial independence becomes increasingly more important, how much you...

Budgeting 101: Personal Budget Categories

When it comes to creating a personal budget, it can feel like there are a million financial categories to consider. In order to create a successful budget, everything should be accounted for, from large expenses like...

What Are Commercial Loan Interest Rates?

Starting and running your own business takes hard work, time, and money. If you are an entrepreneur or a business leader in need of financial help, you are probably wondering about current commercial loan interest rates....

FHA Loans 101: 3 Major Requirements

If you have a strong understanding of the FHA loan requirements, you’ll experience a quicker and smoother loan application process. FHA loans provide homebuyers of all income levels the opportunity to purchase a home...

Do You Need Help Financing Your Wedding? First Bank Can Help!

A wedding is a beautiful day filled with love and commitment. Many consider it the biggest day of their lives. It’s a day you’ll spend months planning for and the rest of your life remembering. It’s also...

Where Can I Get a Personal Loan? – Think First Bank of Asheboro, NC

If you’re looking to get a personal loan in Asheboro, North Carolina, be sure to visit First Bank. Whether you’re looking to finance a wedding or put a down payment on a house, First Bank has a variety of...

Commercial Mortgage – Wilmington NC

First Bank’s commercial mortgage lenders can put you in the right location for your Wilmington, NC, business to succeed. Our commercial real-estate loan specialists will offer you more than just a competitive...

Checking Account Offers – High Point NC

High Point, North Carolina is home to over 100,000 people and is considered the “Home Furnishings Capital of the World.” In addition to High Point’s rich history of furniture manufacturing, they have...